Wednesday, June 6, 2012

BECOMING SISTER WIVES (KODY, MERI, JANELLE, CHRISTINE, AND ROBYN BROWN)




Story Description:

Gallery Books|May 1, 2012|Hardcover|ISBN: 987-1-4516-6121-7 

The Brown family, open polygamists, are the stars of the popular reality program Sister Wives, a hit for TLC not only because of the unusual subject matter, but also because of the honesty and frankness of the entire Brown family.  Now in their own words they reveal even more to help viewers better understand the lifestyle, the family dynamics, the experience of living “on camera”, and the love shared in their unusual family, in a candid memoir that openly discusses the details of how their special relationship works. 

The Browns offer honest answers to the questions viewers who tune in every week can’t help but have.  How do all the wives feel special while sharing one husband?  How does a woman decide to become a sister wife, especially if she’s not born into the lifestyle?  How do the four relationships differ from each other?  How do child-rearing conflicts get resolved.  How does the sole husband navigate the emotions of the women and handle jealousy among his four wives?  With the trademark candor that has drawn millions of viewers to their show, the Browns tell readers everything they’ve ever wanted to know about life in a plural marriage. 

My Review: 

Hmmm….don’t know quite what to say about this book.  It was well-written and read fast but I found it to be blatantly honest and open with no-holds barred.  The honesty and clarity which each member of the family spoke was truly eye-opening.  I felt in reading the book that the family doesn’t appear to be quite as happy as they appear to be on television and was somewhat surprised at a lot of things they wrote about in the book. 

I don’t agree with their lifestyle but to each his own and I guess it’s these oddities that make our world go round.  Just for interest sake, you might find this book revealing.


3 comments:

  1. I try not to judge people, but these women do not seem happy to me and I don't have anything nice to say about the husband. He just annoys me. With that said, I would still be interested in reading a book. I do find the family dynamic fascinating. I just worried that they would make everything sound like it works swimmingly, throw in a couple of negative lines to make it appear real and call it a book.
    I am glad that you found that they didn't seem as happy as they appear on television. It is not that I enjoy unhappy people, I just want truth when purchasing a nonfiction book.
    Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These peeps have had a lot more problems that I ever dreamed they did. They "appear" almost picture perfect but it just ain't so. Buy the book with a clear mind, you'll see what I mean.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Cheers,
      Louise

      Delete
  2. Haven't read the book, and wouldn't pay a nickel. These people turned themselves into a circus, and their big top will kill someone when it falls.

    Self promotion, at the expense of your children, is dangerous. The Duggars have a book?

    ReplyDelete