Sunday, August 21, 2011

THE SWEETEST THING (ELIZABETH MUSSER)


Story Description:

Anne "Perri" Singleton's world is defined by the security of family, the camaraderie of friends at an exclusive Atlanta girls' school, and an enviable social life.  She isn't looking for new friends when Mary Dobbs Dillard arrives from Chicago.  Besides, "Dobbs," the passionate and fiercely individualistic daughter of an intinerant minister, is her opposite in every way.

But just as the Great Depression collides disastrously with Perri's well-ordered life, friendship blossoms-a friendship that will be tested by jealousy, betrayal, and family secrets...

With her endearing characters and poignant storytelling, Atlanta native Elizabeth Musser vividly re-creates the charm of her beloved city amid the poverty and plenty that shaped the 1930's.

My Review:

The story is set in Atlanta, Georgia in the year 1933 when the Great Depression was a struggle for everyone.  Dealing with issues such as: financial loss, grief, forgiveness, illness, and racial segregation which was felt by both the poor and wealthy alike.

Mary Dobbs was 17-years-old and the daughter of a poor preacher from Chicago.  Mary had come to Atlanta to live with her rich Aunt so she could attend a prestigious school.  Mary meets Anne "Perri" Singleton and the two become fast friends and much of the story revolves around their relationship.

Some of my most favourite characters were, for sure, the little 8-year-old black servant, Mary Dobbs herself, and Coolie.  These girls were so peppy, so spunky, and weren't at all afraid to speak what they thought.  Something girls of that era just didn't do.

Once you've read this beautiful story you'll soon realize how perfectly appropriate the title is for this book.  Mary has no idea what a whole new life is about to open up for her.  It gives me goosebumps just thinking about this story and it would make a beautiful movie.  I'm actually a bit surprised that Hallmark hasn't picked it up.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds great- and I was instantly attracted to the title! I will put this on my tbr list. Thanks!

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens sometimes and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete